When I asked my daughter (13) what kind of cake she wanted for her birthday she (almost) shouted; “Nutella cheesecake!” Ok, I get it. I also love that cake but I was hoping to be able to decorate at least one cake for her birthday so I asked her if she would be up for a more traditional birthday cake. “Like what?” she asked. Hmm…how about a chocolate cake covered with Oreo buttercream frosting? Her jaw dropped because she LOVES Oreos 🙂 Then that was decided, one Nutella cheesecake (recipe in my next post 😉 ), chocolate cake with Oreo buttercream frosting and then I decided to also make lemon cake with blueberry compote, vanilla sugar cookies, Oreo filled chocolate pyramids and my husband rigged up some Chili con carne – that’s right, nobody left the party hungry 😉
Now, let’s get to the recipe. I guess I sound like a broken record but yet again I baked this chocolate cake. This cake just never fails me. I baked it in three 8″ pans at 340° fahrenheit for 35 minutes.
Here’s the recipe for the frosting:
- 18 oz butter (at room temperature)
- 35 oz icing sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp heavy cream
- 16 Oreo cookies, crushed
- Cream the butter on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the powdered sugar, about ½ cup at a time, until thoroughly mixed. Add the vanilla extract and the heavy cream. Mix thoroughly.
- Crush the cookies (in a ziploc bag) using a rolling pin. Don’t overdo it, you will want to have some big cookie chunks in the frosting.
- Gently fold the cookie crumbs in to the frosting with a rubber spatula.
- Now you are ready to frost the cake 🙂
Chocolate ganache :
- 4 oz semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Place chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl; set aside.
- Place cream in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Pour over chocolate and let stand until chocolate has softened, about 30 seconds.
- Stir until smooth. Let cool slightly before using
Enjoy, Nina 🙂