Oh man, Vanilla cake with caramel sauce – it’s sooo goood. You need to try this one.
I baked these darlings in a silicone mini bunt cake pan from Habitat but of course you can use any pan, small or big, just adjust the baking time to fit the size of the pans you use, for example I baked these for 16 minutes at a 340°F/170°C but if you decide to use 3×8″ pans you need to bake the cake for 40-45 minutes.
So here’s the recipe:
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 sticks butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup buttermilk
Preheat the oven to 170°C or 340°F.
Spray the silicone pan with oil like Pam to prevent the cake from sticking to the pan.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Beat the butter in the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment at high speed until it is light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the sugar and mix on medium speed until smotth, about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula halfway through to ensure that the butter and sugar are well mixed.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, whisking in between.
- Add approximately half the flour mixture and mix on low speed just until the flour is incorporated. Add the vanilla and buttermilk and mix until combined.
- Add the remaining flour and mix until combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula to make sure that the flour is fully incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans, up to 1/2 – 2/3 of the sides of the pan and bake.
- Let the cakes cool to room temperature before drizzling the caramel sauce over them.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/8 cup water
- 1/6 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp butter
- Put the sugar and water in a saucepan and place on a medium heat. Stir gently until the sugar has dissolved.
- Increase the heat to high and bring to the boil without stirring. Allow to bubble away until the mixture turns to a rich caramel color, then take the pan off the heat
- Pour in the cream, but use caution when adding the cream to the pan as the mixture will bubble up.
- Add the vanilla, followed by the butter. Put the pan back on the heat and stir until the butter has melted and the mixture no longer bubbles up.
- Leave to cool slightly before transferring to a jar.
3 thoughts on “Miniature vanilla cakes with caramel sauce – recipe”