This cake is ideal to celebrate any birthday, be it 5 or 75 years. It will make everybody happy (except those who are detoxing 😉 ).
I baked this vanilla cake, it’s perfect for a two-layer 9 inch cake or a three-layer 8 inch cake. I added 100 g of Milka Caramel Cream Chocolate, roughly chopped, to the dough just before I divided the batter between the cake pans. It’s so so so delicious!
I wanted the buttercream orange coloured so I added the zest from one orange – just to tie the color to the flavor. Orange buttercream is not everyone’s cup of tea – if you know what I mean, so there is no harm in making the buttercream with for example vanilla instead of orange zest. For decorations I melted Wilton Candy Melts in yellow and lime green (50/50) in a microwave oven and poured it on top of the cake. I then used mini marshmallows, Candy floss, POP Candy and various small candies from the candy bar to decorate the cake.
One thing I would like to mention is that the Candy floss deflates and collapses in a few hours (6-8) so you can’t decorate the cake with the Candy floss the day before it will be served. Just pop it on a few hours before serving 🙂
Now, here is the recipe for the buttercream:
- 1 1/4 cup of soft butter
- 5 cups icing sugar
- Finely grated zest of one orange OR 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp milk
- 2-3 drops of orange food coloring (our any other color you choose)
- Cream the butter on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the icing sugar, about ½ cup at a time, until thoroughly mixed.
- Add the zest OR the vanilla extract and the milk. Mix thoroughly.
- Add color a little at a time until you achieve the shade you desire.Enjoy!