I would like to share with you my go-to recipe for the most delicious yet oh so simple chocolate cake.
This one has never failed me. Never ever. It´s an “all in one bowl” kind of recipe which means that you put all the ingredients in one bowl and just mix until ready – for the oven that is, don’t eat it raw 😉
If all I want to do is “throw” a chocolate cake in the oven and I just can’t be bothered with a “first mix this and then this in a separate bowl ….” kind of recipe then this is my go to recipe. But that said, I also use this one for wedding cakes and birthday cakes. I guess I use it more or less for everything except maybe cupcakes, it’s maybe not firm enough for that.
And now here’s the recipe:
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup good quality cocoa
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup strong black coffee OR 2 teaspoons powdered instant coffee plus 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour three 8 inch round baking pans or one 10 inch round pan.
- Add all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl, beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared pans. Bake 30-35 minutes for 8 inch pans, 55-60 minutes for 10 inch pan or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
I wanted to keep it simple today so the frosting I picked for this cake was SUPER simple, only two ingredients:
- 7 oz good quality dark chocolate i.e. Green and Black´s
- 1 oz butter
- Bring about an inch of water to a simmer in a saucepan. Put a heatproof bowl with the chocolate on top of the pot, making sure the water doesn’t touch the bottom of the bowl. Stir chocolate occasionally as it softens.
- When the chocolate has melted remove the bowl from the heat and add the butter. Slowly mix the two ingredients.
Now all you have to do is spread the icing on the cake and enjoy.
2 thoughts on “Delicious yet oh so simple chocolate cake”