These wonderful cappuccino cupcakes are a big family favourite, at least among those of us who like coffee 🙂 They are perfect with cup of the black stuff on a lazy Sunday afternoon, and the simplicity of them makes it all that easier.
The recipe comes from one of Nigella’s books, How to be a domestic goddess, thank you very much! In that same book you’ll find a brilliant silver dollar pancake recipe that only requires a blender, but more on that later.
And now here’s the recipe:
- 115g flour
- 110g soft butter
- 105g sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 heaped tablespoon instant coffee (straight into the bowl)
- 2-3 tbsp milk
- Put everything in a mixing bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Put 12 baking cups into a pan and fill them two-third’s of the way up.
- Bake in an oven at 200°C (400°F) for 20 minutes.
- Take them out of the oven and let them rest for about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the cupcakes to a cooling rack and let them cool completely.
I have adapted Nigella’s icing recipe slightly, because when I follow it to the letter it is way to runny. But here’s my version:
- 75g white chocolate
- 25g butter
- 50g sour cream or buttermilk
- 400g confectioner’s sugar
- Add the chocolate and the butter to a bowl and melt in the microwave. Take good care not to burn the mixture. Let the chocolate cool off for a couple of minutes and then pour it into a mixing bowl.
- Now just add the sour cream / buttermilk to the chocolate and start mixing.
- Finally, add the confectioner’s sugar and mix until the icing is light coloured and a bit fluffy.
- If the icing is too runny, just add confectioner’s sugar until you have the right consistency. And if it’s too thick, just add some sour cream or buttermilk.
Finally, use a piping bag or spatula to apple the icing, drizzle a little cocoa powder on top and voilà! Cappuccino cupcakes coming up 🙂
Have a wonderful Sunday.